"Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." James 1:22 (NKJV)

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Why The James 1:22 Project?

A few friends have asked why I started this blog, and I didn't have a ready response. Honestly, I don't want to get too caught up with thinking about the "why." I want this to be about simply doing what God says. I have, however, thought about the "why" question. While I'm between regular posts, here's my attempt at an answer. There are, I think, really three "why" questions. Why bother about obeying the Bible? Why go about obedience in such a studied and contrived manner? Why blog about it?

Why bother about obeying the Bible? Obedience brings glory to God; this is the first and foremost reason. Second, obedience is the appropriate response to the grace and forgiveness that I have received through Jesus. Third, God rewards obedience.


Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. -- John 14:21 (NIV).

Why go about obedience in such a studied and contrived manner? As I read the Bible, I see that I'm failing to do what God commands in many areas. Although I don't expect to achieve perfection, I am called to work out my salvation. I've learned that when I don't plan to obey and don't live intentionally, obedience does not happen spontaneously. Although I will be focusing on one command each week, my hope is that this project will have a lasting, life-changing impact.

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. --Phil. 2:12 (NIV).


Why blog about it? First, I won't complete this project if I'm doing it on my own. Blogging will provide me some accountability and motivation to keep going. I know that I will receive strength and encouragement from you--my dear friends and family who are following my progress.


And, Jonathan, Saul's son, rose and went to David at Horesh, and strengthened his hand in God. -- 1 Samuel 23:16 (ESV).

Second, I find great value in the process of writing, especially writing for others. As I strive to write well, I know that I will also be striving to think well. This will lead to new ideas and insights.

The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. -- Norbet Platt

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, am enjoying your blog, Nathan. And, I'm sure it will be quite convicting and eye-opening for me as you go. You already got me on week one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going, man! It's exciting to watch the journey that God has you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments and encouragment. Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete